Thursday, April 10, 2008

Parenting

Parenting has got to be by far the most difficult thing I have ever done. Day in and day out there are so many decisions to make and I can't help but constantly feel that based on the specific decision I make, it could make or break anything and everything that I have decided up to that point. Lately, I have been doubting myself far too much. I have overwhelming fears that MY sinfulness is going to greatly hinder my children's path to salvation.

I had a particularly difficult day yesterday and so had some deep discussions with James last night. It was good.
Then this morning after prayers, I read the scripture readings for today, I felt that God spoke to me. In each passage the very first verse or two jumped out and spoke to ME.

He said...
Thus says God the LORD, Who created the heavens and stretched them out, Who spread forth the earth and that which comes from it, Who gives breath to the people on it, And spirit to those who walk on it:
“ I, the LORD, have called You in righteousness, And will hold Your hand;" [Isaiah 42:5-6]

Genesis 18:20
Okay, so I was SUPPOSE to read Genesis 18:20 next but when I went to copy it for this I discovered that I did not read that but read Exodus 18:20 instead. But it is what spoke to me so I think I need to say that God directed me here.
Then He said...
And you shall teach them the statutes and the laws, and show them the way in which they must walk and the work they must do. [Exodus 18:20]

And He said, "Do that with...."
A gentle mind with humility is better than he who divides soils with the arrogant. [Proverbs 16:17]


Glory to God for all things.

Lord have mercy, Lord have mercy, Lord have mercy.

2 comments:

Mimi said...

I have no words of wisdom as parenting is by far the most difficult thing I do as well, but I am so glad that you had such direction this morning. Thanks be to God!

Liz in Seattle said...

And don't you just love when you face these truths, in combination with having to make split-second decisions all day long?

My boys and my husband are my salvation. Thank God for this alternate form of asceticism. I mean that. No really, I do...