Thursday, August 18, 2005

Sloth

I’ve posed some questions on my last post that I truly would like to try and get some answers for. Or maybe not “answers” but ideas or advice and encouragement.

I KNOW that I need a routine or schedule to really accomplish things beyond the everyday tasks. I do get the dishes done and the floor vacuumed and beds made on a pretty regular basis. But anything beyond this is VERY difficult for me to get done or even face. I’ve written my schedule or “to-do” list but HOW do I face it and stick with it!!?? I have “desire” to get rid of the clutter, “desire” to do some remodeling, “desire” to have a garden so big it feeds my family of 6 all year long and a “desire” to home school my 4 children exclusively. BUT for some reason the “desire” isn’t enough to motivate me and I DON’T KNOW WHY!! Lately it really is frustrating to me.

Does anyone have and answers or ideas? I probably know the answer. It’s probably staring right at my face…but please, if you have any ideas, advice, encouragement or even quotes. Share!

And please pray for me, SusanSophia, a slothful sinner.

3 comments:

Alana said...

This lifted off someone else's blog who is also battling sloth:

St. Theophan the Recluse had virtually identical advice as my friend. He said that we have to approach the everyday duties of our life 1)as if they were commands of God, and 2)in a manner that re-interprets their meaning spiritually. He said that if we do these two things, our daily lives won't be burdens or hindrances to our spiritual lives at all. So, he suggested writing out the equivalent of a to-do list of chores, duties, etc. Then, tell yourself that the Lord commanded you to do them. Then, do them. And, when you do them, you are to interpret them spiritually. So, if you're getting the stain out of a blouse, tell yourself that the stain is like the stain of your own sin, and the removal of it is like God's grace purifying you. If you're taking out the trash, tell yourself you're taking out the "trash" in your own spirit. You get the idea.

Susan Sophia said...

Alana,
Could you find out where that advice is from. I have several books on him and I'd love to be able to look it up. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan!

I didn't know you had a blog, until now!

I have found that it is much easier to KEEP a home the way one likes it than to GET it that way in the first place. For me, it's because once I see how much I like my home once it's beautiful, I have much more motivation to keep it that way.

I also think that getting it that way is more fun when you don't have to do it alone. So how about I come over some Saturday and we'll have a big organizing day? I'd be happy to help - I think it's fun! I helped my mom organize her kitchen a week or so ago. What's that saying about many hands making light work?

Arielle